Honda Motor Co. (Middle East and Africa) launched the All-New Honda Pilot in Bahrain today. The largest and most powerful SUV in Honda history, the all-new 2023 Honda Pilot is the ultimate family SUV with rugged new styling, more passenger and cargo space, and a class-leading combination of off-road capability and sporty on-road dynamics.
First introduced in 2003, the Honda Pilot became the industry’s first three-row, mainstream SUV developed on a car-like unibody platform. For two decades the Pilot has set industry standards for fuel efficiency, spacious and thoughtful interior packaging, safety performance and handling performance in the large SUV segment.
The Honda Pilot is an SUV that everyone wants to be in, be it a family adventure, the hustle and bustle of City life or just hanging out with friends at the weekend who want versatility for their active lifestyle. It is the epitome of the connected multiverse where the Pilot is designed for.
New to the Pilot this year is a more sculpted, rugged exterior design that reflects the off-road capabilities, on demand 7 to 8 seats, 10 Speed Automatic Transmission with the All New 24 Valve QUAD CAM 3.5 Litre V6 Engine, i-VTM4™ All-Wheel Drive system, 7 drive modes, Honda Sensing Standard on All Grades, Advanced Safety and Technology Features such as 8 Air Bags, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, 360 Multi View Camera System to name a few along with a Brand-New Exterior Color – Radiant Red Metallic and a Brand New Interior Color – Mineral Brown.
- 4 Grades – EX, Sport, EX-L and Touring
- Rugged exterior design
- All-new 3.5-liter DOHC V6 engine with10 Speed Automatic Transmission
- Second-generation i-VTM4™ torque-vectoring all-wheel drive system
- More modern and comfortable interior
- Class-leading overall passenger space
- On Demand 7 or 8 Seats
- Tri zone automatic climate control, leather, or fabric seats, 60:40 seat configuration
- Active sound and active noise control system
- 8 Airbags as standard fitment on all grades
- Standard digital instrumentation
- 10.2” Full Digital Driver information interface screen
- 9-inch HD touchscreen with Wireless Apple CarPlay® & Wired Android Auto™ compatibility
- 12 Speakers Bose Surround System in Touring and 9 Speakers in the remaining grades
- 7 available drive modes, including new Sport, Tow, and Trail modes
- Standard Honda Sensing® system with new wide-view camera
- Power Tail Gate with Programmable Height
- Next-gen 8 airbags as standard on all grades
- The Pilot is available in 7 Exterior Colors and 3 interior Colors with Fabric and Leather
Tough and Modern Exterior Styling
The All-new Pilot further advances the new rugged design with a tough new look and powerful stance. Complementing its off-road capabilities, Pilot’s all-new styling is tough, aspirational and adventure-ready with a large, upright grille and a strong horizontal beltline. The strong horizontal beltline highlights its increased overall length while a longer wheelbase and wider tracks give it a stronger, more aggressive presence. A sleek tailgate spoiler and new LED taillights make the fourth-generation Pilot instantly recognizable from the rear. Sport Grade features gloss black trim and grille bar, a chrome exhaust garnish, standard black roof rails, front fog lights and 20-inch wheels.
Some of the detailed features of the Pilot include
- LED Lights and DRL: The Honda Pilot features full auto LED Headlights and Daytime Running Lights on all grades, providing that sharp look
- LED Taillights: The Full LED Taillights are perfectly sculpted into the fender and tailgate enhancing the aggressive adventurous look.
- Front Facia and Grille: The vertical front fascia and the long hood with the pentagon design grille gives the Pilot a domineering, rugged look on the road, making you stand out on every journey that you embark upon.
- Height adjustable Power Tailgate: Power tailgate can be operated by various methods and the height of the tailgate can be set to suit the individual’s needs.
- Alloy Wheels: The Pilot adopts 18” Alloy Wheels on the EX and EX-L grades, whilst the Sport grade is equipped with 20” Alloy Wheels giving the Pilot a larger-than-life look.
Other noteworthy features include Panoramic Sunroof in EX-L and Touring, Front Fog Lights, Power Door Mirrors, Smart Entry with Touch Sensor Walk-Away Auto Lock® (Fr+RR Doors + Tailgate) Standard in All Grades, and Rain Sensing Wipers in the Touring Grade.
Premium Spacious Interiors:
With clean surfacing, sophisticated materials and premium touches, Pilot’s all-new modern interior builds on the Honda design direction to create the most upscale Honda SUV ever. The Cabin of the new Pilot is designed to perfectly connect to the different individuals with technology that suits all. The thinner A pillars with squared off glass area, provides a clear field of vision. The ventilated seats have been designed keeping utmost comfort in mind. The Front Seats provide ample leg room for the driver and the passengers, and the rear seats can be used in a multitude of ways for various cargo and passenger options.
In the second row, the middle seat can either be folded down, to provide an armrest and two cup holders for convenience. The seat can be completely removed, allowing a walk-through access to the third-row
Some of the salient interior features include:
- On demand 7/8 seat configuration: The Pilot can accommodate 7 or 8 passengers, depending on the grade. The seats can be configured in many ways to accommodate the various needs of the family.
- Central Command Centre:The All-New Pilot Has in the center console a Command Center Layout for quick operation. This includes gear shift button selection selection at the click of a button, hill descent control, Electrronic Parking Brake with brake Hold and driver mode selection.
- Tri-Zone Automatic Climate Control System:The Pilot is equipped with an automatic climate control system. So whether its the grandparents who want warmer temperatures or the kids who have just come back from a game of soccer, the Pilot caters to all.Heated and ventilated front seats ensure you enjoy the drive in complete comfort.
- Steering Wheel Controls: The Steering wheel of the Pilot is equipped with a multitude of controls and functions. The left-hand side controls the audio, Bluetooth and voice recognition, whilst the righthand side controls all the functions relating to Honda Sensing. F1 style Paddle shifters are also equipped for manual control of the 10-speed automatic transmission.
- Seat Height Adjustment: The All New Pilot comes equipped with an 8-Way Power seat height adjustment for the Drivers Side and 4-way seat height adjustment for the passenger (Sport, EX-L and Touring). Memory seats are a great addition that can be set to the individual remote key fobs, so you never have to adjust your seat again. (EX- L and Touring)
Connectivity and Technology:
Intuitive technology has been smartly integrated into Pilot with a focus on the driver. From the Heads Up Display to a digital instrument display, Wireless standard Apple CarPlay® and wired Android Auto™ compatibility and a 9” Display Audio System on all Grades.
Connectivity Features Include:
- 9” Display Audio Standard On all Grades: The New Pilot interior is flanked by a new 9-inch touchscreen audio system which is now standard on all grades with physical knobs for volume and tuning, and a simplified menu structure. Wireless Apple CarPlay® and Wired Android Auto™ compatibility.
- 10.2 Inch Fully Digital Driver Information System (Touring only):The Pilot features 10.2 Inch all-digital tachometer on the left and a physical speedometer on the right side. The display also features user-selectable functions such as Honda Sensing® settings, vehicle information and a color heads-up display. All the other grades have a standard 7” DII screen.
- Wireless Charging: A Qi-compatible wireless charger for easier smartphone charging on the go and space for a second phone on the right
- Cabin Talk: A must have feature that allows the driver/front passenger to communicate with rear passengers, through the Pilots PA system
- Front and Rear USB Chargers: The New Pilot interior believes in advanced connectivity and hence all Grades are now equipped with A and C type USB chargers in the front, middle and 3rd row seats
Comfort and Convenience:
The All New Pilot considers the comfort of the passengers with little details that puts them at ease for everyday life. Some of the features included:
- Electronic Parking Brake with Brake Hold: The Honda Pilot features an electric parking brake. Easy and convenient to use, with added feature of brake hold during stop start in heavy traffic.
- Power Folding Mirrors: The Honda Pilot features Power Folding Mirrors in all grades which fold and unfold when the car is unlocked/locked. When reverse is selected, the door mirrors can tilt down individually for safer parking
- Rear A/C vents: The rear passengers can enjoy additional comfort with rear a/c vents which helps them to sit back and enjoy the ride in Honda Pilot.
- 2nd Row Folding Seat (40:20:40)/60:40 Combination Seats: As mentioned before, the Pilot can accommodate 7-8 people and has several combinations of seats, passengers and cargo. Additionally, your laptop or other valuables can be stored in the rear hidden storage area for extra security. The removable cargo dividers help keep items stored in the underfloor area separated.
- Heads Up Display: The Touring grade is equipped with an heads up display that projects essential information, so you can keep your eyes focused on the road ahead. The following information can be shown on the Heads-Up Display:
- Vehicle speed
- Turn by Turn signal
- Honda Sensing functions
Pilot is one of the smoothest and most powerful SUVs in its class, the all-new 24-valve QUAD CAM 3.5-liter V6 engine produces 285 horsepower at 6100 rpm and 355 N-m torque at 5000 RPM. The newly developed engine has a narrow valve angle of 35° for better packaging and variable valve timing allows optimum control for better fuel efficiency.
10 Speed Automatic Transmission: Paired to this new engine is our beloved 10-speed automatic transmission. Now in its 2nd generation, it’s more efficient than ever before while retaining superb shift performance Highlights include a wider ratio range for optimal gear selection, a lower 1st gear helps with stand still acceleration. The new 10-speed is much quicker to downshift and can execute rapid 4-gear downshifts in cases where maximum passing power is desired. Paddle shifters are standard for manual control, making Pilot more fun-to-drive.
i-VTM4 All-Wheel Drive System:Pilot also introduces the second generation of Honda’s award-winning torque vectoring i-VTM4™ all-wheel drive system, the new and more capable i-VTM4 system features a stronger rear differential that can handle 40% more torque and provides 30% faster response, optimizing available traction in all driving scenarios, especially slick conditions and off-road. Up to 70% of the engine’s torque can be sent to the rear axle, and 100% of that torque can be distributed to either the left or right rear wheel.
INTELLIGENT TRACTION MANAGEMENT with 7 Drive Modes:
The All-New Pilot is now equipped with seven drive modes for all types of weather and different road conditions. Just select the appropriate drive mode and let the Pilot do the rest.
- NORMAL Mode: All parameters are tuned to provide a balance between performance and fuel efficiency
- SPORT Mode: Sport mode is more focused on delivering higher performance by faster throttle response. It offers greater acceleration, with sporty gauges and Active Sound Control – a feature that brings the exhaust note to the driver’s ears.
- ECON Mode: Econ mode prioritizes fuel economy by fine tuning the throttle control and AT drive ratios for petrol model
- TRAIL Mode: When Trail mode is selected, the 360 camera switches on automatically, that gives an unobstructed trail view even if you can’t see it out the window. It is the best mode for the Dusty Gravelly Roads.
- SAND Mode: Designed to work in the Sand, the Sand mode increases the Throttle response and the 10AT holds lower gears for better off roading performance.
- TOW Mode: The TOW mode in Pilot helps towing off boats, campers or “toy” trailers that serve as the key to adventure for many customers. It can even help tow off another car stuck in the sand.
Advanced Safety with Honda Sensing TM
The Honda Pilot is equipped with Honda SensingTM suite of active safety and driver assistive technologies in all grades that uses a new single-camera system which detects a wider view of the road ahead for enhanced recognition capability. Combined with software advances and a new, more powerful processor, the system is also capable of more quickly and accurately identifying other vehicles and make driving both easier and safer.
The features include:
- Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS): Designed to detect and alert the driver of a potential collision. It also reduces vehicle speed to minimize impact if a collision becomes unavoidable. CMBS function detects oncoming vehicles when turning, bicycles, pedestrians with no streetlight and motorcycles.
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow: Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), and Low Speed Following allows the driver to set a desired speed and following distance from a vehicle detected ahead, allowing the Pilot to adjust its speed automatically for a safe and comfortable journey. The LSF function can bring the vehicle to a complete stop.
- Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS): Helps to keep vehicle in the middle of a detected lane, preventing it from accidentally drifting out of its lane.
- Road Departure Mitigation System (RDM): Alerts driver when it detects the vehicle may have unintentionally deviated from its lane, it can apply gentle steering correction and brakes if required.
- Lane Departure Warning: If the car moves out of its lane without you activating the indicator, visual alerts will flash with an audible sound, to help the driver to correct the lane drift.
Other Safety Features
Continuing Honda’s’ longstanding tradition of advancing safety performance, the Honda Pilot introduces multiple new active and passive safety systems. Some of the additional safety systems include:
- ACE™ Body Structure: The Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure in the Honda Pilot is designed to enhances occupant protection. The crash zones channel the impact energy towards the crumple zones and away from the occupants. Keeping you and your family safe.
- 360 Multi View Camera: An All New multi view camera system uses cameras mounted at the front, sides and rear of the Pilot to provide you with views around the entire vehicle. In the touring grade, it additionally comes with installed washers to clear the cameras in case of any debris collection while driving.
- 8 Airbags as standard: New front airbags for both the driver and passenger are designed to reduce head rotation, especially in oblique or offset collisions. The passenger-side front airbag uses a three-chamber design to achieve a similar result, with two outer chambers designed to cradle and control head rotation. They include Front Airbags, Side Airbags, Side Curtain Airbags and Front Knee Airbags
- Rear Seat Occupant Reminder: Rear Seat Occupant reminders system that you check the rear seat area, when the ignition is turned off
- Seatbelt Reminder System: Ensuring all occupants are belted up, a visual display is shown in the binnacle
- Vehicle Stability AssistTM (VSA®) with Traction Control: During an oversteer or understeer condition, VSA can brake individual wheels and/or reduce engine power to help restore your intended course.
- Trail Mode: When Trail mode is selected, the 360 camera switches on automatically, that gives an unobstructed trail view even if you can’t see it out the window.
- Blind Spot Information System: The Blind Spot Information System uses rear radar sensors to detect the presence of vehicles to the sides of your Pilot, if a vehicle is detected, an indicator is shown on the mirror, so you can change lanes safely.
- Front and Rear Parking Sensors: Front and Rear parking sensors making parking a breeze, with audible and visual warnings displayed on the audio screen
- Auto High Beam Support: The windshield mounted camera detects red and white lights of vehicles ahead. The system automatically switches the headlights from high to low beam, so you can concentrate on the road ahead
- Rear Cross Traffic Monitor: You can reverse out of a parking space with confidence, the RCTM provides an audible and a visual direction of the approaching vehicle on the audio screen.
Color Availability and Grades
The All-New Honda Pilot is available in four grades for the GCC: EX, Sport, EX-L and Touring.
- Platinum White Pearl
- Lunar Silver Metallic
- Radiant Red Metallic
- Obsidian Blue Pearl
- Modern Steel Metallic
- Crystal Black Pearl
- Wisteria Grey Fabric
- Natural Black Fabric
- Wisteria and Mineral Brown Perforated Leather